All you need to know before you scrap your unwanted car - Part II

From: 2018-07-21 | Category: Default
Here at Scrap Car Hull we ensure your experience is hassle free and easy, even if your car has no logbook and no service book. Once the collection has been arranged, our driver will ask you for a photo ID and proof of address and this will suffice to pick up and scrap your unwanted vehicle at a local ATF. 

Getting your tax and insurance refunded.

If you have the V5C logbook, the yellow section number 9 will be filled in upon collection and returned to you, so you can forward it to the DVLA and ask for a refund. If the logbook is missing, we strongly advise your write a letter to DVLA and inform them you have sold your car to a licensed scrap dealer and are no longer responsible for it. It is not necessary to request a V5C duplicate and pay extra for it. 
Once you have informed the DVLA and received your C.O.D you can contact your insurer in order to get a partial refund, they will most likely charge a cancellation fee as well. If you plan to replace your scrap car it may be easier and more economical to transfer your new car on your existing insurance policy. It’s always good to call your insurer directly and check all the options you have before you decide to cancel the policy altogether.

What if you want to keep parts of your scrap car?

Some drivers invested a lot of time and money to have their car personalised or upgraded and would like to dismantle the unique parts before scrapping the vehicle. If that’s the case, you will have to ask your scrap dealer or the ATF directly, if they accept a partially stripped vehicle. 
In order to remove parts of your car you will have to register your car as off the road, also known as ‘Statutory Off Road Notification’ (SORN). 

Once you declare your car as SORN, you can then remove the parts you’d like to keep and scrap it with your chosen dealer, then follow the regular procedure to obtain the C.O.D and inform the DVLA that you no longer own the vehicle (the section 9 of the logbook).
Sam applies with registration plates – if you’d like to keep it, you have to inform the DVLA and pay the fee, about £80, so they retain it until you are ready to use it again.

Scrapping your car doesn’t have to be a hassle. Why not call Scar Car Hull today and let us take care of the whole process for you.

instant quote
Get best price for your scrap vehicle.